Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Life and Times of a Hack Pianist

I'm listening to the recording of the recital that my tenor friend and I gave last weekend (exactly 1 week ago!). The very first section of the very first piece was really hard for me, and it sounds pretty rough on the recording. God, I hate orchestral reductions! Hate them, hate them, hate them!

Anyway, there were some really nice moments in the recital -- quite a few, actually. Then there are a few places where, I have to admit, I hosed it up pretty good.

Over the past few years I have been doing a TON of accompanying -- mostly choral accompanying, and mostly in pretty low-stress settings. I've gotten so used to playing in front of people that I hardly get nervous anymore. In fact, I think I'm a little too relaxed in front of an audience. I have gotten a bit sloppy. One problem is that I'm paid by the hour for rehearsals and performances, but NOT for my own individual practice time. I schedule as many hours as I can in order to make something resembling a living, and the result: very little practice! I spend more time rehearsing and performing than practicing, for sure! That can only have a negative effect on a person's technique.

I didn't get serious enough soon enough about preparing for this recital. It has been sooo long since I gave one, that I was unclear on the concept. I could have gotten pretty terrified down toward the end there, but I kept reminding myself to relax, breathe, and enjoy playing. I knew it wouldn't be perfect; I no longer pressure myself to be perfect. I feel it's an accomplishment that I got through it without any major trainwrecks.

Overall, I'm really glad I did this, because next time I'll know what to do to prepare. Like I said, I won't be a neurotic perfectionist, but I would like to challenge myself to be more polished and more on top of things sooner. Now I know how to do that. I am actually a very good musician... I just spend too much time doing the musical equivalent of waiting tables. But as of June 2007, no more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home